Sunday 30 October 2016

Blogtober16 - A letter to someone

Today is my penultimate Blogtober post, which asks me to publish a letter to someone. In honesty, I wasn't sure what to do. I'm not in love, so there is no love letter and writing a vengeful letter to an ex isn't me. I thought about one to a family member, but that's a little too personal. Then I thought about writing a letter to one of my heroes, Audrey Hepburn.























I have many printed images of Audrey including this picture, a mug and small dish. I hope to also read the biography written by her son.

She is someone who I greatly admire because of her dedication to charity, her love for her children, her iconic personality and of course the fact she features in some of my favourite films including Sabrina, Roman Holiday and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Audrey lived a fascinating life. For instance, she moved to Netherlands after her parents divorced. While she was on holiday in Arnhem, Hitler took over the town. She fell on hard times during the Nazi occupation - suffering depression and malnutrition.She was fluent in English, Dutch, Spanish, French and Italian. This was of great benefit to both her careers as an actress and humanitarian.

Audrey helped in her humanitarian work with UNICEF, and a charity was set up in her name after she died. However, she always wanted to help. She saved the life of her friend, Capuone who attempted suicide on several occasions.

Her legacy continues to live on in her films, advertising (her image continues to be used world-wide), charity work and she is one of 15 actresses to have won Triple Crown of Acting (Oscar, Emmy and Tony awards). She believed in growing old gracefully, and did not follow the fashion of plastic surgery. This is why she chose her last film to be Always in 1989. She did it for the opportunity to work with Spielberg after enjoying watching E.T with her son.

I feel like there is so much more to say about her than that, and so much I feel like you could learn from someone like her. I will leave you with something she said that resonates with me:
"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm. As you get older, remember you have another hand: the first is to help yourself, the second is to help others." 
Anyway, that was a little longer than meant! I have instead decided to write a letter to myself (well for future me).

The Letter



















Dear Jodie,

I write to you in the hope that I can insert wisdom. Although I am younger and know you're probably much wiser than me, I know I have the ambition to keep you on track of important goals.

Family life is not something you can control. You can only treasure those relationships you have with close friends, parents and extended family. You can't plan for meeting the right person and marrying them, or having a family of your own. Therefore you can't schedule to have children before 30, but I hope you have. I hope you have found someone who treats you well, and doesn't put you through s**t.

You can control your career and what you do. I hope you pursue that career in fundraising and make a real difference to the lives of others. I hope it's something that you can recognise you do well. I hope you realise what your other talents are, and enjoy being alone. I hope you take those trips to Australia and China. I hope you visit many places, and learn from the journeys you take.

Most of all, I hope you're happy. I don't care whether that means you've not achieved any of the goals you set out. While I write this, you've never had a friend or family member die; you've been lucky in many respects. The worst thing you've experienced is unemployment and a sense of failure from it.

You have spent too much time crying over many things, being upset or feeling bad about yourself. Make sure you surround yourself around people who care, love and treat you right. You will only feel worse around those who can't support you in good times and bad.

Stay happy and healthy. Most of all, take care of those who matter!

Love from,
you
xx



30 comments:

  1. This is so true. I always said I wanted kids before I'm 30 and I am lucky that I've had 3 kids now and I don't want anymore. We never know what life brings to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you wouldn't be less happier if you had them before 30 either! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea to write a letter to yourself - geez, I think I'm going to give this a go! I love it! H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I will be interested to read it :)

      Delete
  3. I really needed to read this- especially the part about having children. I wasn't bothered about having them then I hit 28 and all of a sudden felt this body clock ticking! Putting pressure on myself when it isn't the right time isn't a good thing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 24 but it weighs on my mind as you worry about relationships. I am so glad you liked the post

      Delete
  4. What a lovely letter. I bet this will make her smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab letter. I wanted children before 30, and had my first before thirty. But in hindsight 30 is still really young, so you have time to extend that a few years when you get to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah so many i know close to that age don't seem ready yet

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of writing a letter to yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fab idea, its a great idea to write to yourself! its good to look back on too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post and your letter to your future self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :) means a lot coming from such a good blogger like you!

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of the letter. I hope you get to take those trips too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah me too :) time will tell!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely idea writing such a letter. I think you are right that you should be kind to your self and be happy .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you liked it. It is a message that I wish I followed more as I tell so many others too do it :)

      Delete
  11. I need to do this to myself right now. I feel a need a digital hug in the form of a letter like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I believe we all set too many deadlines in life that we can't really set and therefore I think a lot of what I've said might be important to others :)

      Delete
  12. This is a interesting take and I really like your point of view. I can't agree with you more that things like meeting the right person and starting a family can not be planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww glad you enjoyed reading it :) means a lot!

      Delete
  13. I love the idea of writing a letter to my future self for sure x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to write a letter to yourself - You ar right, Family is definitely not something you can control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is one I think women get so concerned about, but can't do much about

      Delete
  15. Great post - I love the idea of writing a letter to myself, especially as I'm going to be turning 30 next month x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tie in! If you do, I would really love to read it :)

      Delete